February is a tiny month that packs a lot of seasonal / holiday events onto your schedule. These February reading comprehension passages with questions are perfect for incorporating every seasonal event! These nonfiction close reading passages provide the right balance of seasonal/holiday learning with all the other things you need to cover for this month.
This printable + Google Slides resource has 10 nonfiction / informational text passages with text-dependent questions about topics that are popular during the month of February. These passages are great for upper elementary reading centers!
These high-interest nonfiction quick-reads give your students practice with:
- close reading
- referring to the text
- defining words in context
- all without missing any of the fun February content
Here are the 10 February reading comprehension topics your students will learn facts about:
- Chinese / Lunar New Year
- “Will You Be My Valentine?”–History of Valentine’s Day
- Groundhog Day–It’s All About the Shadow
- Black History Month
- President’s Day All the Way
- The Superbowl–More Than Just Football
- Mardi Gras–Fat Tuesday
- Ash Wednesday–A Time of Mourning
- Waitangi Day
- Girls Can Love Science Too–International Day of Women & Girls in Science
⭐⭐ As you can see from these topics, you get to teach your students the history of almost every holiday or event packed into February while strengthening their reading comprehension!
SAVE YOURSELF TIME
- Let’s be real…can you complete a FULL lesson addressing every single February holiday event? Of course you want to, but that’s a lot of lesson-planning.
- Save yourself that lesson planning time by having engaging February reading activities like these nonfiction passages that don’t require any additional prep!
- They can supplement any activity you choose no matter what ELA curriculum you have.
These February Reading Comprehension Passages are excellent for:
- holiday reading centers
- morning bell ringer work
- nonfiction reading homework
- supplements to your basal readers
- early finishers
- guided reading practice
- digital / virtual learning
- seasonal reading content / February ELA activities
- worksheets to quietly complete during transitions and more!
Answer Keys are included.
The questions are editable in the Google Slides format.
⭐ Looking for more resources?
- Homonym Hearts–Hands-On February Work Word Center
- Winter Reading Bookmarks
- Cold Hands, Warm Hearts February Bulletin Board
⭐WANT DISCOUNTED RESOURCES WHEN YOU SHOP WITH THE BUTTERFLY TEACHER?!
👉🏾 You can earn credit that lowers the price of your future purchases on this site! 💰
1.Create an account HERE (Which automatically gives you 10 credit points! 🤩)
2.Make a purchase.
3.Leave a rating with detailed feedback on the resource.
4.Then enjoy your rewards. 💙💛❤️
Each time you come back to shop our site your points will be available in your account.
They NEVER expire! 🙌🏾
✨ So thanks in advance for your rating and feedback! ✨